Sunday, August 19, 2012

Just because I walk around your house dressed like a robber, doesn't mean that I'm a stalker.

Last year, I bought the book 101 Things To Do Before You're Old and Boring. Number 36 on the list was, "Start your own blog." I did the Myspace blog back in the day, I think I had a Xanga at one point, and I've done a blog for school, but I have never really gotten into it. So, before I'm old and boring, I'm going to attempt this.

My life isn't super exciting, but it has its moments. I figure this is as good of a place as any to keep track of those moments, which will mostly revolve around music. I have always loved music, but I never really went to any concerts until a few short years ago. But, that's a story for another time.

I have spent the last week following my friend and one of my favorite musicians, Todd Carey, on tour. First of all, I am not a groupie. I loathe being called a groupie. I have never even attempted to be anything other than a friend to any of the musicians I know. It's nothing personal, and I don't judge people that do that kind of thing. It's just not the kind of person I am. Second of all, I am not delusional. I don't claim to be BFFs with any of these musicians that I see a few times a year. My boss looked at me earlier this week as I was talking about seeing "my friend, Todd," and said, "Does this Todd guy know he's your friend?" Ouch. Musicians are people, too. Just because I'm nothing special doesn't mean I'm not friend-worthy.
from www.redbubble.com


But, I digress. I spent the week traveling around to see Todd with Bushwalla and Bracher Brown. The first show I went to was a house concert with just Todd and Bushwalla in Virginia. I had never been to a house concert before, and was pleasantly surprised at how laid back it was. It was also great to see so many friends who had come from all over: Virginia, Kentucky, and even California!

Todd and Billy (Bushwalla) took turns playing songs of their own. When they weren't singing their song, they were lending a hand to the other, either with guitar, harmony, beatboxing, or sometimes just comic relief. They played for a good hour and a half to two hours. They could have played for 10 more and I would've still enjoyed every minute of it. Overall, it was a fantastic night.


Concert number two also took place in Virginia at Jammin' Java. If I had to pick a favorite concert of the week, this would be it. It was the best setup of any other venue, and the audience was the most respectful. I can't stand it when people are loud when people are trying to perform. I also had a great group of friends with me who love Todd and Billy just as much as I do, if not more.

Bracher opened for them, and I must say, I was kind of blown away. He's this 18 year old kid (no offense,) and I honestly wasn't expecting him to be as good as he was. Or as cool. He only sang 4 songs (three of his own and one Bon Jovi cover,) but it definitely made me want to hear more. He even busted out the harmonica which he had supposedly just learned to play days before. I'm not saying it's not true, but he picked it up much better than I did when I got a harmonica for Christmas two years ago.


After Bracher was Todd. I love Todd and his music, and I have seen him many times on tour, but nothing compares to how he performed at this show. You could tell he put every ounce of energy and passion into his hour-long set. He did a perfect mix of old and new songs, enough to please fans of the older music and enough to keep everyone wanting more. There is nothing I would have changed about his set that night, unless it could have lasted forever.

As I said before, I've seen Todd on tour several times, but I had never witnessed the experience that is a Bushwalla concert. Let me preface this by saying he used to be a clown (which would normally freak me out, but I'm okay with it.) He is definitely a performer. He is also hilarious. It doesn't take much to make Todd laugh, so put the two of them together and it's non-stop hilarity. He also did a lot of audience participation, which keeps everyone entertained and on their toes. 


All-in-all, everyone brought it and we were all thoroughly entertained. I realize that I promised to talk about four concerts, but I have only talked about two and this post is quite lengthy. I think I will take a break and come back and post the second half later. For now I will leave you with a picture of me and Todd with our friend Kate. 

We look like friends, right? haha
Stay tuned for part two...

No comments:

Post a Comment